You might not know it, but theft is still a common issue for retail businesses in Canada. In fact, Canada’s retail industry loses roughly $4 billion to theft every year, because of customers and employees. To help you stop shoplifters in their tracks, we’ve outlined 11 retail theft prevention tips for your business below:
- Install a welcome bell at your door to help you keep track of who’s entering your store. It’s also a fun sound in general!
- Make your presence known to ward off suspicious shoppers. A friendly greeting to your customers can guilt-trip sneaky shoplifters.
- Follow up with shoppers after greeting them. If a shoplifter is engaged often within a store, they’ll think twice before they shoplift merchandise.
- Review your store’s layout to make sure there are no blind spots and that there’s enough lighting. You can’t catch shoplifters if you can’t see them!
- Keep expensive items near the checkout counter. Certain items in your store may be prime targets for amateur Robin Hoods.
- Use electronic tags on all of your merchandise to detect non-purchased items that exit your front door. Nothing stops a quiet getaway quite like an obnoxious alarm.
- Set up security cameras to help you capture blockbuster footage of every nook and cranny in your store. Click the image below to download our infographic on setting up the right video surveillance system for your business!
- Offer to place things in a fitting room. You’ll be able to track the number of items being tried on and likely notice if something goes missing.
- Offer to place merchandise behind the register counter. This allows you to keep track of merchandise easily.
- Have one exit and entrance. If there’s only one way in and one way out, it will easier to see who’s coming and going from your shop.
- Pay attention to price tags when a customer pays. Although it’s not shoplifting, it is a form of retail theft if a customer alters price markings.
Want to protect your business from risks other than retail theft prevention? We can help!
Looking for more ways to protect your business? Having solid business insurance coverage can help you recover after a sudden break in or a costly lawsuit. That’s where TruShield Insurance comes in.
TruShield can provide your business with tailored coverages that meet your individual needs. We offer customizable coverages, including property insurance, general liability insurance and commercial auto insurance.
We’re dedicated to educating retailers on the risks of running their business with our industry-leading expertise, and we’re here to help you make the right choices for protecting your small retail business.
This blog is provided for information only and is not a substitute for professional advice. We make no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy or completeness of the information and will not be responsible for any loss arising out of reliance on the information. Terms, conditions and exclusions apply to coverage. See policy for details.