When you’ve suffered a loss, no matter how big or small, it’s never easy. In the moment, emotion can often take over and cloud your judgement. You’ll have some questions you need to answer. What do you do now? Who do you need to contact first? What are your obligations as a business owner? Whether it’s water damage, a fire, a car accident, or another type of loss, these situations can be stressful and overwhelming. But don’t worry, we’re here to help. We thought we’d try to make things a little easier by taking some of the guess work out of the equation. Follow these four steps when you think you have a claim. You can even download and print the infographic below; it could come in handy!
4 steps to take immediately after you suffer a loss
If you find yourself up to your ankles in water, in the front seat of a fender bender, or in the midst of another type of loss, there are some important things to remember that can help make the process a little smoother.
- Stay calm and call 9-1-1. If you have any reason to suspect criminal activity, or think that someone involved in the incident requires medical attention, call 9-1-1 as soon as you can. Try to stay calm, be courteous and avoid arguing with others involved.
- Don’t engage in settlement talk. It’s important that you only discuss the details of the incident with police or other emergency personnel, and your TruShield Insurance Claims Team.
- Take notes, witness testimonials and photographs. The more information you have on what happened, the better. Document everything in full detail, including the date, time and location. Gather contact information from all those present at the time of the incident. If you have a camera or your smartphone handy, take photographs and videos of the scene.
- Call your insurer. Once you’ve done everything you can to manage the situation, it’s important to take all the information you collected and contact TruShield Insurance. only can we put the claims process in motion, we can also provide further advice on next steps, too. Call 1.855.629.1213 or visit www.trushieldinsurance.ca
What NOT to do
- Don’t admit fault or liability.
- Never discuss settlements with other parties involved.
- Don’t interfere in any negotiations for settlement or in any legal proceedings.
Remember to download our helpful claims process tip sheet. Keep this handy in case you ever experience a loss to your small business.
If you’re ever unsure about something before, during or after the claims process, you can reach our claims department by visiting our website, or directly at 1.855.629.1213. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and committed to handling each of our customer claims as fairly, professionally and carefully as we can.
This blog is provided for information only and is not a substitute for professional advice. We make no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy or completeness of the information and will not be responsible for any loss arising out of reliance on the information. Terms, conditions and exclusions apply to coverage. See policy for details.